Watch Tower
11This is one of three guard towers that remain along the east and south barracks’ walls. It was built between 1939 and 1945, during World War II, which was known as the Emergency in Ireland.
Although neutral, Ireland faced the threat of invasion. The Irish Army strengthened many of its military positions and built new fortifications up and down the country. In Dublin, sites like Clancy Barracks saw improvements including the construction of these new guard towers. The barracks’ wall survives next to the tower. Parts of it date back to the 1790s to early 1800s.

Clancy Barracks in the Emergency
In the late 1930s, the Irish Defence Forces saw an increase in recruitment which necessitated an expansion of the barracks. Plans were drawn up to build new barrack blocks around the Upper Square. Once war broke out in 1939 the role of the Ordnance Corps became even more crucial and new stores, warehouses and workshops were constructed, especially on the north of the site. On 21 November 1942 the barracks were renamed Clancy Barracks, marking the 22nd anniversary of Peadar Clancy’s execution.

(Military Archives, Ireland: AD119269-008)
The Watch Towers
Three watch towers still survive – one by the river in the north-eastern corner, one behind the Brewery building and one in the south-east corner. After the Emergency they continued to be used as guard towers and were manned by soldiers from 1600 hours until 0800 hours the next day. During these overnight watches the officer on duty would visit the posts to check if the sentries were awake and alert, and see if there was anything to report.
Index >
- Stop 1 > The Officers’ Mess
- Stop 2 > The Schoolhouse
- Stop 3 > Colonnade
- Stop 4 > Peadar Clancy
- Stop 5 > Foley House & Laverty House
- Stop 6 > Tarrant House & Cambridge Sq.
- Stop 7 > Dickie Bird
- Stop 8 > Heuston
- Stop 9 > Cobbles
- Stop 10 > The River Liffey
- Stop 11 > Watch Tower
- Stop 12 > Stables, Saddlery, Armoury & Summerhouse
- Stop 13 > Long Lane Royal